Sunday, June 19, 2011

"If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one..."

Sometimes it feels not worth the effort to attack the giant mountain when I'm only scattering its pebbles.
I'm encouraged by Mother Teresa's words, "If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one." I think of a story I heard years ago of a man who lived on a beach. Every day he would walk along the beach during low tide and throw water-surviving crabs back into the ocean that had gotten stuck in the sand as high tide retreated. A man watching wondered why this man bent over for hours throwing crab after crab back into the ocean. After a few days of watching the same scene, the man who was watching approached the man on the beach and asked him why he bothered throwing the crabs back into the ocean when they would simply end up there the next day anyways. Why did it matter? It seemed pointless to save their life, only to have hundreds more take their place hours later. The man replied, "Ask this crab if it matters to him..."

I'm sure I didn't get that story right on, and I'm not even sure where I heard it. But the point remains, the point that continues to stir my heart: That could have been me living on the other side of the earth in extreme poverty, as a sexually abused and trafficked woman, or dying from a treatable condition that I didn't have access to treatment for. If I was then impacted by work and gift of someone partnering on the other side of the world, I would care that they put forth the effort. A pebble moved suddenly looks more like a mountain moved when I shift my thoughts from statistics to recognizing individual life. Ask the woman whose life after prostitution is affected by our work if it matters to her. Ask the child who got a safe night's stay if that night mattered to him.

That's my heart with Trafficking Tuesdays. No one may ever read this, but it keeps me accountable if nothing else. I can't seem to solve the catastrophe of sex trafficking, but I sure can take a night to bake and slowly but surely raise money to help those in the battle front of this war.  I will bake for the women and children that are being raped and abused and sold, and I will bake for myself as a reminder that if I have the ability, then I believe God has asked of me to take responsibility.

As an update, we've raised $220 so far since beginning Trafficking Tuesdays. Here are some of the delicious yummies that I have learned to bake through TT over the past months (from starting this as a hopeless case in the kitchen, it's exciting for me how much I've learned through the weeks!!):



We will keep baking and will keep posting periodically. If you are interested in baking, buying either the goods or the baking materials, or coming alongside in some other way, please email traffickingtuesdays@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment